Search This Blog

Sunday 28 April 2024

Colin Wilson, Philosopher of the Paranormal

Back in the 1970s, Colin Wilson was one of the big names of what might be called "mass-market forteana". But while I did borrow a copy of his 600-page blockbuster The Occult circa 1978, it was only much later that I started to discover just how interesting his ideas are. It began in 2001, when I bought a book by Fortean Times contributor Gary Lachman called Turn Off Your Mind: The Mystic Sixties and the Dark Side of the Age of Aquarius (which I'm sure everyone spotted in my recent shelfie post, towards the right-hand end of the middle shelf). Colin Wilson made an appearance in Lachman's book in the context of the H. P. Lovecraft revival of the 1960s - including the wonderfully surreal cover of Wilson's 1967 novel The Mind Parasites. As evidenced by the photo above, I bought a second-hand copy as soon as I could find one, as well as two later novels in the same vein, The Philosopher's Stone (1969) and The Space Vampires (1976).

The other paperback shown above is a non-fiction one, The Psychic Detectives (1984), which I bought in 2016 when I was researching my own book, Pseudoscience and Science Fiction. Here's what I said about Wilson there:
As his career progressed, he became increasingly fascinated with the world of strange powers. A recurrent theme throughout his fiction and non-fiction is that most people live a robotic existence far below their real potential.
That use of the word "robotic" brings me on to the main subject of this post, which is the Kindle book shown in the above photo - Gary Lachman's Beyond the Robot: The Life and Work of Colin Wilson (2016). I only became aware of it last month, when Gary posted the following on Facebook:
I've just heard that the paperback of Beyond the Robot, my book about Colin Wilson, is now out of print. If you are among the many who didn't buy a copy, there's still time to not get the Kindle edition too.
Since I'm a chronic sufferer from the "Why do friends never read my books?" syndrome, I clearly had to buy it immediately! I'm glad I did, as I found it a fascinating and information-packed read which got 5 out of 5 stars from me on Goodreads. However, this post isn't really a review of the book, so much as a summary of a few things I found particularly interesting from a fortean point of view.

To start with, Fortean Times (as well as some of the "Unconventions" they organized) makes several appearances in the book. At one point Lachman specifically mentions "writing pretty regularly for the Fortean Times", and after Colin Wilson's death in 2013 Gary's obituary of him appeared in FT 310 (the same issue as my review of a comic-strip book about particle physics, FWIW). Although I've never actually met Gary, I did spot him at a couple of Uncons - and, I think, in the audience at the "Aliens and the Imagination" event I mentioned on this blog in 2011. Way back in 1978, in the guise of his musical alter-ego Gary Valentine, Lachman also wrote Blondie's paranormal-themed hit "I’m Always Touched by Your Presence, Dear".

As for Colin Wilson himself, he only came on to fortean-type subjects a decade or so after he started writing. His original focus was on existential philosophy, and his first book on that subject, The Outsider, was published in 1956 when he was just 24. It received a lot of rave reviews, including one in The Observer - which Lachman describes as one of Britain's "highbrow Sunday papers" (which pleased me a lot, since they published a two-page feature by me just a couple of months ago).

In hindsight, it's not surprising that Wilson's own personal take on philosophy eventually led to an interest in the paranormal, since it's ultimately all about widening human consciousness beyond the normal trivialities of everyday life. That's why he was drawn to the Lovecraftian style of fiction - he had no time for the more mainstream kind of novelist "who, in the service of realism, simply portrays life as it is". Another fortean favourite who made an impression on Wilson was Aleister Crowley. According to Lachman, Crowley was the model for one of the characters in Wilson's early novel Man Without a Shadow (1963) - Carradoc Cunningham, an occultist and master of "sex magic". Apparently Wilson himself harboured interests along the latter lines, believing that sexual orgasm can unlock higher states of consciousness and "open the doors of perception".

When Wilson came to write about the paranormal - The Occult (1971) being his first and best-known, but far from only, book on the subject - he did so in a way that was almost diametrically opposed to the standard approach for the genre. As Lachman puts it:
If scientists and other skeptics were ever going to broaden their minds about the occult, then it had to be presented to them logically, in a way that made sense, not in a sensational "believe it or not" manner.
As with his first book about philosophy, Wilson's first book on the paranormal also got rave reviews. In part, this was because "highbrow" readers were far more open to such topics at that time than they are today. Referring to a favourable review that New Scientist gave of Wilson's follow-up book Mysteries (1978), Lachman says:
Such acclaim from a scientific publication for a book about the paranormal is unusual today, and shows that in the 1970s, the paranormal was treated with respect by many scientists, unlike in our more narrowly skeptical times.
Another thing I remember myself from those times, is that interest in fringe topics was much more wide-ranging and eclectic than it is today. The "paranormal", for example, meant a lot more than just ghosts and poltergeists. Listing some of the topics that Wilson covered in Mysteries, Lachman includes "plant telepathy, psychic surgery, transcendental meditation, biofeedback, Kirlian photography, multiple personality and synchronicity". All great stuff - makes me feel more nostalgic than ever for the 20th century!

Colin Wilson was an incredibly prolific author, and I kept noting down titles of books of his that I ought to seek out. The most intriguing-sounding of all is Atlantis and the Kingdom of the Neanderthals (2006) - something I should have known about already, as Wilson mentioned it in an article he himself wrote for Fortean Times, called "A 100,000-year-old Civilization?" It appeared in FT 272 in March 2011, and I have to admit I'd forgotten all about it (although I looked back at it just now, which is how I know it mentions the Atlantis book). In any case, I've already acquired my copy of Atlantis and the Kingdom of the Neanderthals from eBay, as you can see here:


10 comments:

Kid said...

I find myself curiously uninterested in such books, AM, merely because I get the impression that there are no real hard facts to justify their 'conclusions'. It all strikes me as guesswork, speculation, imagination, and perhaps even desperation to see something above the ordinary that isn't really there. Horses for courses, I suppose.

Incidentally, seeing as you brought up the subject of orgasms, do you know what a woman says after experiencing ten of them in a row? "Thanks, Kid!"

Andrew May said...

A dubious assertion if you ask me, Kid, though I've seen it said before - https://kidr77.blogspot.com/2012/11/what-does-woman-say-after-10-orgasms-in.html. As for how interesting or otherwise Colin Wilson's books are - obviously a matter of opinion, but you can see from the fact that I've just written 1,000+ words about them that I don't agree with you! But many people do. I mentioned three books of his that got particularly good reviews in the press, but many of the others got the opposite treatment. He went through a phase in the 1960s when critics looked forward to his next book simply so they could savage it in the media!

Colin Jones said...

The first music album (cassette actually) that I ever bought, back in November 1983, was 'The Best Of Blondie' so I'm very familiar with the song 'I'm Always Touched By Your Presence Dear' but I must admit I didn't realise it was meant to be paranormal-themed. How interesting! Clearly I wasn't taking much notice of the lyrics so I'll have to rectify that by listening to the song on YouTube. For many years I thought the ABBA song 'The Visitors' was about aliens probably because the song itself sounds so weird but I was disappointed to discover it's actually about living in an authoritarian regime!

Andrew May said...

I didn't know that either, Colin, but at least it's nice to know you'd heard of that song by Gary Lachman (who incidentally has read the above blog post - or anyway, he clicked the "like" button when I posted it on Facebook). For a good explanation of the song's fortean connections, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(I%27m_Always_Touched_by_Your)_Presence,_Dear.

Kid said...

Dubious? No, it's true I tell you. I simply couldn't have imagined them saying it to me so many times - even if I was asleep and dreaming when I heard them say it.

I don't necessarily dispute that the books may be interesting (to those who are interested in such subjects), it's just that I don't feel compelled to read them simply because they're too speculative in nature (going by ones I've read in the past) and I'm always disappointed in them. I'm not saying that any of your books are like that though, simply because I've never read any.

Andrew May said...

Of course any subject worth writing about will have a range of different books, Kid, some good and others bad. That's particularly true of the occult/paranormal/UFOs/Atlantis etc, where there will always be more "bad" books (aimed at people who couldn't care less about closely related "serious" subjects such as history, psychology, physics, astronomy, theology etc, but just want to be entertained/horrified/amazed or whatever) than good ones. Colin Wilson's writings definitely fit in the latter category (as I alluded to above, when I said they were "almost diametrically opposed to the standard approach for the genre") - though I suspect they'd still be too airy-fairily philosophical for your tastes.

Colin Jones said...

I've watched the Blondie song on YouTube, Andrew, accompanied by onscreen lyrics and the paranormal elements are pretty clear when reading those lyrics! According to Wikipedia both Tracey Ullman and Annie Lennox did their own versions of the song so I'm going to see if those are on YouTube too.

I mentioned that my first music album was 'The Best Of Blondie' - I got the album on Tuesday, November 15th 1983 and the Dad's Army actor John Le Mesurier died on the very same day. Forteana includes coincidences doesn't it?

By the way, this week's Book Of The Week on Radio 4 is "Alien Earths" by Lisa Kaltenegger which is about searching for alien life in outer space.

Andrew May said...

Thanks for letting me know, Colin. It's really encouraging how many "serious" books about alien life there are these days. I even did one myself a few years ago, but sadly the publishers lumbered it with the less-than-catchy title Astrobiology. I wanted to change it to "Looking for Aliens" or something like that, but they wouldn't let me because they'd already started publicizing it months before they'd decided who was going to write it!

You're right that certain types of "coincidence" can be see as fortean phenomena, particularly when there's some kind of non-causal relationship between the two events. The technical word for these "meaningful coincidences" is synchronicity - which (by just such a coincidence) happens to appear in the last-but-one paragraph of the above blog post!

Gene Phillips said...

I enjoyed your post, Andrew, and confess that the Wilson name did intrigue me enough to check out your blog for the first time.

I like that you stress Wilson's background in existential philosophy, because when he came to write about the paranormal, he did so from a more philosophical stance than did many. It wasn't just, "can people move objects with their minds," but, "if people can move objects with their minds, what does that mean for the nature of humanity?"

I enjoyed both THE OCCULT and MYSTERIES, but though I read the follow up BEYOND THE OCCULT I can't remember anything about it. I've read the two Lovecraft influenced novels, though not for many years, and none of his crime fiction, though I have a paperback of THE GLASS CAGE I consider delving into from time to time.

Andrew May said...

Hi Gene - many thanks for checking out my blog, and I'm glad you enjoyed this post about Colin Wilson. Your comments really do echo what Gary Lachman says about him in his book. So you might enjoy reading that too, if you have time. If nothing else, it gives some good pointers as to which of Wilson's other books might be worth reading!