Search This Blog

Sunday 5 May 2024

More (free) AI creativity tools

 

The above may not be great comic-book art, but it's passable enough, and (with a couple of caveats I'll come to later) I created it with a single mouse-click on a website where I didn't even have to log in, let alone pay any money. And until I press "Publish" on this post, no one but me has ever seen it before. Even after a year of playing around with AI software, this still strikes me as incredibly cool (and even slightly frightening, if you stop to think about all the implications).

This particular page came from the Comic Factory website, one of two new AI discoveries I want to talk about in this post. First, however, I thought I'd summarize a few things I've written elsewhere about the "creative" use of AI. This is becoming a major hobby of mine, and I suspect it will feature increasingly often on this blog. Don't worry, though - all the applications I'm going to talk about have at least a tenuously fortean connection.

To start with, there's the article I wrote for Fortean Times last year called "AI, Art and Forteana" (FT 433, July 2023). This included a couple of imaginative fabrications from Bing's AI chatbot: first, an account of the Roswell Incident written in the unmistakable style of Charles Fort (who actually died 15 years before Roswell), and then a (hopefully entirely fictitious) conspiracy theory about Fortean Times itself.

The magazine article also contains two pieces of artwork courtesy of Bing's Image Creator. One takes the form of a two-page comic (with each of the panels having been generated separately, and then put together and captioned by myself), which also turned up in a guest post I did for Kid Robson's "Crivens" blog called Nostalgia Meets Modern Technology.

The other piece of art included in my FT article was "an engraving in the distinctive style of William Hogarth, 'proving' that he witnessed a UFO hovering over the streets of London in the 1730s". The same image also appears in a long post I did on my professional blog, 6 experiments in creative AI. As the title suggests, the "Hogarth" image was just one of several experiments discussed in that post - to read about the others, just click on the link.

Although I've occasionally found Bing's chatbot useful as an "ideas generator", the most impressive use I've found for it is in writing song lyrics, which it's surprisingly good at. I've put a couple of examples on YouTube:

  • Zen Matrix - a mystical/hippie song that I think is really great (so you probably won't click on it)
  • Demonic Tarot - my attempt at a "blackened death metal" song in the style of Behemoth, which really isn't very good (so you probably will click on it)

As well as AI-generated lyrics, both those videos use AI-created artwork - as do most of the recent videos on my YouTube channel. And as for this blog - you can see how often I've used Bing's Image Creator by looking at "AI art" in the tag cloud in the right-hand sidebar.

Besides being free, Bing Image Creator is also impressively high quality. But it has disadvantages, too - the biggest being that it has no memory from one image to the next. This limits its usefulness in creating comics - hence my decision to check out the AI Comic Factory. To ensure full consistency of characters and locations you need to set up a paid account, but there's a free "playground" where you can try it out without doing that.

The prompt box says "story", which seems to invite you to type quite a lot, but I just settled for a two-word prompt, "ancient aliens". The resulting artwork is noticeably less sophisticated than Bing, but it does have the advantage of being laid out like a comic - and, despite being the free version, having some vague continuity from one panel to the next.

There were just a couple of things I didn't like: the page had a broad 4:5 aspect ratio, rather than the 2:3 of a normal comic, and one panel was in a jarringly different style from the others. So, to produce the version you see at the top of this post, I deleted the dodgy panel and rearranged the others into the correct aspect ratio. But contrary to what you might think, I'm not responsible for the clumsily cropped right-hand edge of the lower panels. That was the computer's fault, and it looks like a bug to me (as opposed to the "unreadable" text captions, which I don't think are a bug, but just placeholders to add your own words).

While I won't be signing up for a Comic Factory account, I still think it's great that they let you play around with the free version (which it's best to do first thing in the morning UK time, before the server slows down as more people start to use it).

A point that was raised in the comment thread to my aforementioned Crivens post was the role of AI in creating last year's "new" Beatles song, "Now and Then". Specifically, AI was used to separate John Lennon's voice from the instrumental accompaniment on a demo tape. This brings me to the second thing I wanted to talk about in this post - because, as of a few weeks ago, exactly the same functionality is now available to anyone, free of charge, as part of a new toolkit called OpenVINO for Audacity.

I've tried a few experiments with this already, including Ozzy Osbourne singing "Paranoid" with the band muted and replaced by a classical string quartet, and a groovy Sgt Peppery remix of "A Hard Day's Night". Unfortunately, copyright laws mean the wider world is never going to hear them! Instead, you'll have to settle for my electronic remix of the Queen of the Night from Mozart's Magic Flute - the fortean credentials of which I discussed in a 2013 post on Fortean Opera (I scarcely need to add that the image in the video is c/o Bing Image Creator):

Incidentally, I'm always puzzled as to why some of my YouTube videos do much better than others in terms of views. For example, the totally brilliant Very Model of a Modern UFOlogist has only collected 20 views in the 2 weeks since I posted it, and "Zen Matrix", which I also like, has had a mere 56 views in 11 months. On the other hand, "The Doctor Who Theme in the Style of Handel", which I did at the suggestion of regular follower Colin Jones a month ago, has had a very respectable 460 views in that time - and now my version of Mozart's Queen of the Night is already well past 400 views only four days after posting it. Oh well, I guess it's just that "Doctor Who" and "Mozart" are more popular search terms than "Zen" and "UFOlogist".

6 comments:

Colin Jones said...

You'll be glad to hear, Andrew, that I listened to both the Zen Matrix and Demonic Tarot songs and I agree that the former is by far the better! If the latter is an example of death metal I'm rather glad I don't listen to that particular genre!

Andrew May said...

Thanks Colin! Incidentally, this gives me a chance to clarify what I was trying to say in the postscript at the end. For me, the standout things about the Doctor Who and Mozart pieces is that they were quick experiments that only took a couple of hours after I'd decided what to do, so it's a little frustrating to see them getting so many more views than things like Zen Matrix and UFOlogist which literally took several days of creative effort to get them right (the same is true of several other videos with low view counts, such as Guru and The Gates of Hell). In hindsight, though, I can see that it really comes down to how likely a particular title is to show up in searches.

Colin Jones said...

Andrew, do you have any opinions on the nature of reality by which I mean theories that our universe is some kind of illusion or a hologram or a computer game created by super-intelligent beings in a higher dimension etc. I find myself pondering this subject more and more lately and I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I really exist!

Anyway, back in the real world (or IS it???) have you read "Atlantis & The Kingdom Of The Neanderthals" yet? You didn't say if it's fiction or non-fiction (I'm guessing the former).

Andrew May said...

Thanks for two interesting questions, Colin. Starting with the first one, as you can see from Zen Matrix (which possibly prompted the question?), I'm fascinated by the idea that we live in a "fake" reality that hides a truer reality behind it, though it's not something I have any strong beliefs about. Some time ago I wrote an article called "Ten Wild Theories about the Universe" which includes both the "holographic theory" and "simulation theory" (the first being essentially a physics theory and the second a philosophical one). You can read it here: https://www.livescience.com/strange-theories-about-the-universe.html.

And no, I haven't got round to reading "Atlantis and the Kingdom of the Neanderthals" yet - I generally only read one book a week and there's quite a backlog to get through first! But despite the far-out title, it's definitely non-fiction. Here's an intriguing excerpt from the publisher's blurb:

"Wilson shows that not only did Atlantis exist but that the civilizing force behind it was the Neanderthals. Far from being the violent brutes they are traditionally depicted as, Wilson shows that the Neanderthals had sophisticated mathematical and astrological knowledge, including an understanding of the precession of the equinoxes, and that they possessed advanced telepathic abilities akin to the group consciousness evident in flocks of birds and schools of fish. These abilities, he demonstrates, have been transmitted through the ages by the various keepers of the hermetic tradition, including the Templars, Freemasons and other secret societies."

Sounds thought-provoking if nothing else!

Colin Jones said...

Thanks for that link, Andrew - for me the multiverse idea seems the most likely one with our universe merely one bubble in an infinite ocean but I'm dubious about the science-fiction concept of a multiverse full of alternate Earths where JFK survived, Hillary Clinton became president, the Nazis won World War II etc. I think each universe in the multiverse would be unique and, as you say in the article, they might each be governed by different laws of physics.

Regarding the Neanderthals, I think there's been a shift in attitudes in the last couple of decades so they are no longer seen as quite the knuckle-dragging brutes they once were but telepathic Neanderthals with a knowledge of mathematics and astronomy is quite a stretch!

Andrew May said...

Thanks Colin - I can't really add anything, as I agree with you on both points!